Wednesday 19 October 2016

Typesetting and Presentation - Posters

In this workshop we were given the task to put the typography skills we learnt in the previous session in to practice by designing a series of posters. We were given a brief for 4 different poster designs, i managed to start 2 during the session and decided to edit and finish them all at home afterwards.
The first two had quite a strict brief therefore we were only able to use type, no images and only the colours red, black and white. Although this was a bit frustrating at first it was a good idea as it forced us to use the skills we had learnt in the previous week which was helpful. The final two briefs were a bit more open and allowed us to be a bit more creative.

The brief for the first one was to create a poster for an acoustic night, a weekly open mic event with a laid back, relaxed feel. It was important to show that not just one sort of music is played here so for my concept I chose to use the font Wisdom Script Al as it's very curvy which represents music notes and then I cropped the phrase 'acoustic club' by adding lines through it as we were shown in the previous session. My idea was to make it look like a sheet of music, so the lines representing a music stave with notes on.



For the second one, our task was to create a poster for a craft beer event in Huddersfield. I decided to go for this style and the font Bernard MT Condense as i thought it was typical of traditional craft beer branding.
I used 3 different font sizes and colour tints to emphasise the most important aspects of the event.


















For the third poster i decided to look at Michael Beirut, when talking to Aidan about my designs he suggested i looked at his talks and Aaron Draplin's talks on Vimeo which i have linked below for reference.




I chose to do my poster on Michael Bierut because I think he is a very influential Graphic Designer and his work is current and contemporary. He has been very successful so i wanted to research him to understand more about his approach to design. When researching Michael Beirut i found my favourite pieces of his which i tried to incorporate aspects of in my poster. I also found that his favourite font was Bodoni 72 so i used that within my work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment